Monday, August 31, 2015

High School Advice || Things I Wish I Knew

High School SUCKED.

Okay, okay so it wasn't terrible... but there are definitely some things I wish I knew that may have improved my experience, if only marginally.

My last senior assignment was to write a letter to incoming Freshman with my advice, below is the condensed version.

This tips are nothing revolutionary, but these are the things I wish I knew earlier.
high-school-advice

1.) Fill Your Time Up

At risk of sounding like a hover mom, people use their time best when it’s a limited resource. 

 Join clubs, do sports, get a job, find a hobby, it doesn’t really matter what you’re doing as long as you’re doing something. 

One of my biggest regrets from high school is how much time I had to burn.


I spent a lot of afternoons sitting bored in my room when I could have been making new friends, exploring new interests, or helping out the community.  

I know it can feel intimidating to walk into a club for the first time, or to try out for a sport you’ve never played before, why not use high school as a time to try out as many new things as possible.  

Explore as many outlets as you need to until you find your passion, and once you find what makes you happy don’t let it go.

2.) Take Care of Yourself

Friends may come and go, but you have to live with yourself forever, so do what makes you happy and worry about the rest later. 

 Try to spend as little time as possible worrying about gaining the approval of others, wear whatever clothes you want to wear, raise your hand in class if you have something you want to say, don’t be afraid to participate in gym even if you may not be the most athletic person out there.  If it makes you happy, there’s not a reason in the world not to be doing it.  

Happiness is a lot like those oxygen masks on airplanes, you have to help yourself before you help others.  Once you find the happiness within yourself, that happiness will radiate and project itself on to others.  

 Live your life for you and you’ll find yourself surrounded with like minded people.

3.) Be Present

It’s really easy to get lost in everything that is going on in your life and just end up passively moving through your day, without ever being truly aware of what’s going on all around you.  Try to live your life aware of every breath you breathe, of every step you take, of every interaction you have.  

I truly believe that there is beauty in every moment, and if you pay close enough attention, you can always find something to smile about. 

 One of my favorite quotes is,

 “No matter the amount of negativity you are presented with, 5 minutes from now could be the best moment of your life.” 


 Even if you can’t find positive in that instant, keep your heart open to all the good surrounding you and something positive will come your way, you just have to believe it will.

until next time.
x, kirst

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!